Have you suffered injuries after getting sideswiped by an 18-wheeler? You may have significant medical expenses and lost income due to your injuries. You deserve to pursue financial relief and justice from negligent truck drivers and liable trucking companies after a sideswipe truck accident. But the trucking companies and their insurers won’t make seeking the compensation you need easy.
That’s where Silkman Law Firm Injury & Accident Lawyer can help. Our firm focuses exclusively on injury cases, giving us extensive experience and knowledge that we use to build robust, persuasive cases on behalf of our clients. When you turn to us for legal representation after a sideswipe crash, you can trust our team to work hard to advocate for your rights and interests to pursue the best outcome.
Contact us today for a free initial case evaluation with a sideswipe truck accident attorney. Let our firm stand up to the trucking companies and insurers to demand the accountability and justice you deserve after a sideswipe accident.
What Is a Sideswipe Truck Accident?
Sideswipe truck accidents occur when the sides of a commercial truck and another vehicle collide. In a sideswipe truck accident, the sides of the truck and the other vehicle may scrape against each other as one vehicle passes the other. Or the two vehicles may bump as one moves into a lane occupied by the other vehicle. Sideswipe truck accidents involving 18-wheelers may also lead to an underride accident, where a passenger vehicle gets trapped underneath the side of the truck trailer.
Common Causes of Sideswipe Truck Accidents
Some of the most frequent causes of sideswipe truck accidents include:
- Reckless driving, including darting or swerving between lanes
- Failing to use turn signals or mirrors before changing lanes
- Illegal lane changes
- Failing to yield the right-of-way, including when merging onto the highway
- Failing to stay in the traffic lane
- Drowsy driving
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Inadequate truck maintenance
- Poor road conditions, including potholes, black ice, or standing water
Possible Injuries from Sideswipe Collisions with Trucks
Sideswipe truck accidents can cause severe injuries. Possible injuries that sideswipe collision victims can suffer include:
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Burns from post-accident vehicle fires
- Nerve damage
- Dislocated joints
- Ligament sprains and tears
- Muscle and tendon strains and tears
- Broken bones and fractures
- Herniated spinal discs
- Crush injuries
- Internal organ injuries and bleeding
- Head injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Amputation, dismemberment, or disfigurement
What to Do If You Are in a Sideswipe Truck Accident
Some of the steps you should take after suffering injuries in a sideswipe truck accident in Phoenix include the following:
- Get the truck driver’s contact, employer, and insurance information.
- Take photos of the accident scene, including vehicle damage, skid marks, road lines, traffic controls, visible injuries you suffered, and weather and road conditions.
- Report the accident to law enforcement.
- Seek prompt medical attention to have a doctor diagnose and document the injuries you suffered in the crash.
- Follow your healthcare provider’s treatment plan and instructions.
- Timely notify your auto insurance provider about the accident.
- Keep copies of bills, invoices, and receipts of expenses.
- Gather your pay stubs if you miss work.
- Request copies of the police accident report and your medical records.
- Keep a journal to document pain, physical difficulties, and impacts on your daily life.
- Contact a sideswipe truck accident lawyer to learn more about your legal options for financial recovery after the crash.
Who Is Liable in a Sideswipe Truck Accident?
In addition to the truck driver, other parties who may have liability for a sideswipe truck accident include:
- The trucking company – You might pursue employer liability against the trucking company after their driver negligently sideswipes you.
- The truck’s owner – If different from the truck driver or the trucking company, the truck’s owner may be liable for a sideswipe accident caused by a mechanical issue resulting from inadequate maintenance.
- The freight company – The freight company that loaded the truck or trailer may be at fault for a truck accident caused by an unsafe cargo load.
- The truck’s mechanic – The mechanics who maintain the truck may be responsible for a sideswipe crash caused by a mechanical failure.
- The truck or auto part manufacturers – Truck or auto part manufacturers may have liability for a sideswipe collision when a mechanical problem results from a design or manufacturing defect in the truck or its parts.
What Compensation Can You Recover for a Sideswipe Truck Accident?
After a sideswipe trucking accident in Phoenix, you deserve to pursue compensation for losses you incurred due to the accident, including for:
- Medical care and rehabilitation, including emergency treatment, hospitalization, surgeries, prescriptions, or physical and occupational therapy
- Long-term care and support services you may need for permanent disabilities that result from your injuries
- Ongoing and future losses of income and job benefits if you develop a disability
- Pain and suffering
- Lower quality of life
- Costs of vehicle repairs or reimbursement for the value of your totaled car