Riding a Valley Metro bus is a great way to travel the greater Phoenix area without having to spend money on gas or sit in traffic jams in your own vehicle. Listen to music or podcasts, read a book or magazine, or get caught up on social media as you travel to your destination.
Sounds simple and pleasant but what happens when your Valley Metro bus experience hits a bump in the road?
If you or a loved one have been involved in an bus accident injury with a Valley Metro bus, it’s important to seek legal advice immediately.
An accident injury involving a bus is complicated at best because you are potentially dealing with a municipality, bus owner, bus driver, insurance companies, and witness accounts of the incident.
While you can’t control what others do, you can practice safe travel on your next bus ride with these tips:
- Avoid playing chicken with a bus. Sounds obvious but if you’re late for work or an appointment, you may try to flag down the bus or step near it in an effort to stop the bus. This can cause the bus driver, other drivers, and pedestrians to get distracted, causing an accident.
- Use a crosswalk and obey traffic signals. You can’t control what other drivers do but you can control where you’re crossing the street.
- Be visible and step away from the curb. Buses are heavier than a car, especially when filled with riders. An inexperienced or distracted driver can catch a curb, making it unsafe to be too close to the road. Take a step back; the bus will stop for you.
- If you drop something as you’re exiting the bus, leave it on the ground until the bus passes. Bending over to pick it up could put you a little closer to the bus than you want to be, causing injuries or worse.
- Be courteous to the driver and other passengers. A scuffle on the bus can distract the driver and cause an accident. Not to mention it’s just better to be nice to each other. Avoid altercations as best you can.
We can’t always avoid an bus accident injury. Other drivers, pedestrians, weather, and the bus driver can each be part of the cause of an accident.
If you or a loved one was involved in a Valley Metro bus accident, contact us at the Silkman Law Firm or call 602-535-5899 for a free case review to be sure you’re being properly compensated.