Being attacked by a dog can leave you with both physical and emotional scars. You shouldn’t have to deal with the financial fallout, too. If you were bitten by an aggressive dog in the Phoenix area, you might be entitled to compensation for your medical bills and other losses. A Phoenix dog bite lawyer can help you understand your options and pursue the money you need during this difficult time.
At Silkman Law Firm Injury & Accident Lawyer, we understand the long-term effects of dog bite injuries. Our law firm is exclusively focused on helping people who have been injured in attacks and accidents that could have been prevented. We have helped many dog bite victims just like you recover the full financial compensation needed to move forward with their lives after a traumatic attack.
Reach out to us today for a free initial case review with an experienced Phoenix dog bite injury lawyer. Our firm does not charge any fees upfront to start work on your claim. In fact, you only pay us if we recover money for you.
Who Is Responsible for a Dog Bite Injury in Phoenix, AZ?
Arizona law places liability for injuries and losses stemming from a dog bite on the dog’s owner. However, this can understandably make pursuing a dog bite claim difficult or awkward if you were bitten by a dog owned by a neighbor, friend, or family member. Most people may not wish to jeopardize a personal relationship with a legal claim. But you should know that compensation in dog bite injury cases is not usually paid by the dog’s owner, but rather by their homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy.
To learn more about how a dog bite injury claim works, contact us today for a free case review.
How Much Is Your Dog Bite Injury Case Worth?
If you’ve suffered a dog bite, you may be entitled to compensation for the expenses and losses you have incurred due to your injuries, including for:
- Costs of medical care, such as ER treatment, surgeries and other medical procedures, medications, or physical/occupational therapy
- Lost wages or income if you miss work while recovering from a dog bite injury
- Loss of earning capacity if the injury causes permanent disability that affects your ability to work
- Physical pain and emotional trauma and distress
- Loss of quality of life due to physical disability or scarring/disfigurement caused by the dog attack
What to Do If You’ve Been Bitten by a Dog in Phoenix, AZ
After you have suffered a dog bite or attack, you should try to take the following steps to protect your ability to recover the financial resources you need:
- If necessary, locate the dog’s owner and notify them of your injuries.
- Take photos or video of any relevant details of the incident, such as where the attack occurred or whether the dog that bit you escaped from the owner’s property.
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible to diagnose the extent of your injury and to begin treatment.
- Keep copies of your medical bills and invoices, as well as records of other expenses you incur because of your injuries.
- Save your pay stubs or income statements if you miss time from work because of the injury.
- Consider keeping a journal to record how your injuries and recovery impact your quality of life.
- Speak to a Phoenix dog bite injury lawyer as soon as possible to discuss your options for pursuing the compensation you need to heal.
Understanding Complications from Dog Bite Injuries
A dog bite injury can lead to various health complications beyond the initial puncture wounds or lacerations. Victims may suffer:
- Infections from bacteria that commonly live in dogs’ mouths, including staphylococcus, Pasteurella, and capnocytophaga
- Rabies infection, a disease that may be life-threatening if left untreated for too long
- Broken bones and nerve and muscle damage, which can lead to permanent loss of strength, decreased range of motion, or disability
- Permanent scarring, which may require skin grafts or plastic surgery
It is crucial to understand the full extent of your injury and its effects before you agree to any dog bite settlement offer. A trusted personal injury attorney from our firm can help you document your damages in full and account for future anticipated losses. This thorough assessment will ensure you are demanding the maximum compensation you deserve.